Yongwon Seo (서용원)
280 Daehak-ro, Gyeongsan, South Korea 712-749
Office: +82 (53) 810-2883
Fax: +82 (53) 810-4622
Office: Rm 120 Bldg F07(건설관)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering
Environmental Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering
- Seoul National University
Completed the Doctorate Coursework, Civil Engineering
- Seoul National University
M.S., Civil Engineering
- Seoul National University
B.S., Civil Engineering
- Yeungnam University 2014-Present
- Dankook University 2013-2014
Research Assistant Professor
- Seoul National University 2012-2013
Post-doctoral Research Associate
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2008-2012
Graduate Research Assistant
- Korea Engineering Consultants Corp. (한국종합기술개발공사) 2001-2008
- Combined Effect of Temporal and Spatial Variability of Precipitation and Watershed Geomorphology on Runoff Hydrographs
- Geomorphologic and Hydrodynamic Characterization of Hydrologic Response: Development of Theoretical Framework based on Characteristic Time Scales
- Flood Mitigation in Urban Areas Focusing on Mixture of Green and Grey Solutions
- Atmosphere and Land Surface Interaction Focusing on Environmental Biophysics
- Physical Hydrology: Towards Non-Parametric Modeling
- Department of Civil Engineering 2014-Present
Assistant professor working for
“Efficiency of urgan drainage networks and sensitivity to storm kinematics” funded by National Research Foundation of Korea
Research on the relation between moving storm effect and network topology
“Effect of green infrastructures on flood peaks focusing on DCIA” funded by National Research Foundation of Korea
Research on the relation between the DCIA and green infrastructures and their impacts on peak flow reduction
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering 2013-2014
Research assistant professor working for
“Advanced technologies for hydrologic analysis in Korea” funded by Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs
Research on the area reduction factor (ARF) of design storms in Korea focusing on the effect of spatial and temporal distribution of rainfall on the resulting hydrographs
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering 2012-2013
Seoul National University
Post-doctoral research associate working for
“Advanced technologies for operation and management of four major rivers in Korea” funded by Ministry of Land, Transportation and Maritime Affairs
In charge of development of a GUI for the hydraulic performance graph (HPG) generation and water surface profiling using HPGs
“An Integrated Flood Mitigation Plan for Dorim-cheon and the Gwanak Campus of Seoul National University” funded by SNU
In charge of hydrologic modeling and evaluation of the peak flood response depending on various structural measures
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering 2008-2012
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Graduate research assistant working for
“Phase I Modeling of the Calumet and Mainstream/Des PlainsTARP Systems and Phase II Modeling of the Calument TARP Systems” funded by MWRDGC
In charge of the real time simulation of Tunnel and Reservoir Plan in Chicago focusing on urban hydraulic and hydrologic modeling utilizing the geomorphologic instantaneous unit hydrograph in urban catchments and SWMM
- Technical Research Institute 2001-2008
Korea Engineering Consultants Corp., Seoul
Manager for Water resources projects in public and private sectors in Korea, Philippines, and Vietnam (See Industry Experiences for detail)
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering 1999-2001
Seoul National University
Graduate research assistant for a project on hydrologic system assessment of climate change
Supervised by Professor Young-Oh Kim
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering 1997-1999
Seoul National University
Lab assistant for a project on surface dilution of submerged buoyant jets
Lab and field assistant for a project on dam spillway experiment
Supervised by Professor Il Won Seo
- Seo Y, Schmidt AR, Sivapalan M. 2012. Effect of storm movement on flood peaks: Analysis framework based on characteristic timescales. Water Resources Research, 48, W05532. DOI: 10.1029/2011WR011761
- Seo Y, Choi NJ, Park D. 2012. The effect of connecting rain barrels on the storage size reduction. Hydrological Processes, 26: 3538-3551. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8412
- Seo Y, Schmidt AR. 2012. The effect of rainstorm movement on urban drainage network runoff hydrographs. Hydrological Processes, 26: 3830-3841. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8430
- Seo Y, Ahn J, Kim YO.2013. The impact of climate change on the benefit of a rain barrel sharing network. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 74: 66-74. DOI: 10.1016/j.reconrec.2013.02.019
- Seo Y, Schmidt AR. 2013. Network configuration and hydrographs sensitivity to storm kinematics. Water Resources Research, 49: 1812-1827. DOI: 10.1029/2012WR020115
- Seo Y, Choi NJ, Schmidt AR. 2013. Contribution of directly connected and isolated impervious areas to urban drainage network hydrographs. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17: 3473-3483. DOI: 10.5194/hess-17-3473-2013
- Kim D, Seo Y. 2013. Hydrodynamic analysis of storm movement effects on runoff hydrographs and loop-rating curves of a V-shaped watershed. Water Resources Research, 49: 6613-6623. DOI:10.1002/wrcr.20535
- Seo Y, Schmidt AR. 2014. Evaluation of the drainage networks under moving storms utilizing equivalent stationary storms, Natural Hazards, 70: 803-819. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-013-0845-1
- Seo Y, Schmidt AR. 2014. Application of Gibbs’ model to urban drainage networks: A case study in southwestern Chicago, USA. Hydrological Processes, 28: 1148-1158. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.9657
- Seo Y, Schmidt AR, Kang B. 2014. Multifractal properties of the flow distribution in stochastic networks. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 28: 1157-1165. DOI: 10.1007/s00477-013-0811-1
- You H, Kim D, Seo Y. 2014. HydroConnector: a tool for estimating the stage height of an ungaged river site based on standardized hydro web services and the HPG model. Computers & Geosciences, 70: 73-79. DOI: 10.1016/j.cageo.2014.04.005
- Seo Y, Park SY, Kim YO. 2015. Potential benefits from sharing rainwater storages depending on characteristics in demand. Water, 7: 1013-1029.
- Seo Y, Seo YH, Kim YO. 2015. Behavior of a fully-looped drainage network and the corresponding dendritic networks. Water, 7: 1291-1305.
- Noh SJ, Chung ES, Seo Y. 2015. Performance of rain barrel-sharing networks under climate change. Water, 7: 3466-3485.
- Seo Y, Hwang J, Noh SJ. 2015. Analysis of urban drainage networks using Gibbs’ model: a case study in Seoul. Water, 7: 4129-4143.
- Seo Y, Lyu S. 2016. Multifractal characteristics of the jet turbulent intensity depending on the outfall nozzle geometry. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 30: 653-664
- Seo Y, Park SY, Schmidt AR. 2016. Implication of the flow resistance formulae on the prediction of flood wave propagation. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 61: 683-695
- Seo Y, Hwang J, Kim B. 2016. Extreme precipitation frequency analysis using a minimum density power divergence estimator. Water, accepted
- Hwang J, Rhee D.-S., Seo Y. 2017. Implication of directly connected impervious areas to the mitigation of peak flows in urban catchments. Water, accepted
- Seo Y, Ko H.-S., Son S. 2017. Multifractal Characteristics of Jet Turbulent Intensity from RANS Numerical Simulation. Fractals, accepted
- Cantone J. P., Y. Seo and A. R. Schmidt (2008), Tunnel and Reservoir Plan Report No. 1: Hydrologic Modeling of Calumet TARP system, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana IL.
- Miller, K., N. Oberg, Y. A. Catano, N.-J. Choi, J. Cantone, Y. Seo, A. R. Schmidt, and M. H. Garcia (2009), Quarterly Progress Report for Phase I Modeling of the Calumet and Mainstream/Des Plaines TARP Systems and Phase II Modeling of the Calumet TARP System, Van Te Chow Hydrosystems Lab., Dep. of Civil and Environment Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana IL.
- Y. Seo and Y.-O. Kim (2000), Assessment of Impact from Climate Change (I): Focusing on Rainfall-Runoff Modeling, Magazine of Korean Water Resources Association, 33(3), pp. 22-31.
- Y.-O. Kim and Y. Seo (2000), Assessment of Impact from Climate Change (II): Focusing on Water Resources Management, Magazine of Korean Water Resources Association, 33(3), pp. 32-40.
- Seo, Y., J. Hwang, K.-J. Kim (2016), The concept of directly connected impervious areas and its impact on runoff hydrographs in urban catchments, Annual Conference of Thuyloi University 2016, Hanoi, Vietnam, November 2016.
- Hwang, J., K.-I. Son, Y. Seo (2016), Decadal changes in extreme rainfall events in South Korea: A case study based on rain gage data from 1974 to 2014, Annual Conference of Thuyloi University 2016, Hanoi, Vietnam, November 2016.
- Seo, Y. , K.-I. Son, H.-I. Choi (2016), Combined effect of storm movement and drainage network configuration on flood peaks, EGU Assembly 2016, Vienna, Austria, April 2016.
- Seo, Y. (2015), Impact of drainage network layout on urban runoff hydrographs, Symposium on Regional Floods Effects of Changes in the River Systems, Vienna, Austria, October 2015.
- Seo, Y. (2015), Impact of drainage network layout on urban runoff hydrographs, 2015 CHES Annual Conference, Nanjing, China, October 2015.
- Seo, Y., K.-I. Son (2015), Vulnerability of Urban Drainage networks to spatio-temporal rainfall variability: A case study in Seoul, South Korea, The XVth World Water Congress, Edinburgh, UK, May 2015.
- Seo, Y., K.-J. Kim (2014), An Optimal balance between efficiency and safety of urban drainage networks, 2014 AGU Fall Meeting, San Franscisco, US, December 2014.
- Park, D., Y. Seo, and N.-J. Choi (2012), The Effects of connecting rainwater storage units based on analytical approach, 18th Congress of the Asia and Pacific Division of the International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering Research, ICC Jeju, Jeju Island, Korea, August 2012.
- Seo, Y. (2012), Effect of rainstorm movement on urban drainage network runoff hydrographs, Hydro-Environmental Joint Seminar, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, April 2012.
- Seo, Y. (2011), Effect of storm movement on flood peaks: Analysis framework based on characteristic timescales, Hydro-Environmental Research Symposium, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL, November 2011.
- Seo. Y. and C.-B. Choi (2007), An analysis of a submerged culvert with multiple inlets, Proceeding of KWRA Annual Conference, pp.104-109.
- Kim, Y.-O., Seo, Y., Yoo, C. and Lee, D. and Kim, S. (2001), Sensitivity of the Keum River Basin to climate change, XXIX IAHR Congress, Theme A. pp. 265-271.
- Seo. Y., S. Lee, Y.-O. Kim and D. Lee (2000), Impact of climate change on Daechung Dam operation in Korea, Proceeding of KSACE Annual Conference, pp. 427-430.
- Associate Editor, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering Since 2015
- Member, American Geophysical Union Since 2014
- Member, Korean Society of Civil Engineers Since 1999
- Member, Korean Water Resources Association Since 1997
- Korea Engineering Consultants Corp. (한국종합기술개발공사), Seoul 2001-2008
Thorough involvement in the feasibility study and planning of environmental and water resources projects in public and private sectors in Korea, Algeria, Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam
- Emergency Rehabilitation of Calamity Damage Project, Vietnam 2008
Responsible for technical and financial proposals (ADB Loan 2273-VIE, bid won)
- Central Region Water Resources Project, Vietnam 2008
Responsible for technical and financial proposals (ADB Loan 2223-VIE, bid fail)
- Etude Preliminaire De La Rocade Autoroutiere Des Hauts Plateaux, Algeria 2007
Responsible for technical proposals focusing on hydrologic analysis in a semi-arid region
- Agricultural Extension Service Program under Jatiluhur Irrigation, Indonesia 2007
Responsible for technical and financial proposals
- Construction of the Subic Shipyard, The Philippines 2007
Responsible for the channel diversion in the Subic delta and flood mitigation planning for the construction of the Subic Shipyard developed by Hanjin Heavy Industry Co.
- Flood Risk Assessment of the downstream region of Geum River, Korea 2005
Performed hydrologic and hydraulic analysis to assess the flood risk of the downstream region of Geum river due to increased capacity of the spillway and the flood mapping as well
- Establishment of Flood Measures in Nakdong River Basin, Korea 2004
Performed hydrologic and hydraulic analysis and the feasibility study of structural and non-structural measures for the flood control in Nakdong river focusing on utilizing GIS to obtain geometric and hydrologic catchment properties including CN, land use and soil types
- Flood Map in Han River Basin (Preliminary Stage), Korea 2003
Coordinated the development of flood mapping in Han River basin focusing on the numerical modeling of flood propagation utilizing a 2D model (FLUMEN)
- Basic Development Planning of Gokreung River Basin, Korea 2002
Performed hydrologic and hydraulic analysis and planning of the river basin focusing on evaluating the critical duration of design storms newly introduced from 2002
Professional Engineer Water Resources Development, Korea Since 2005